2011 was actually a great year for me, especially the last half. I began working for UCB and in the short time that I’ve been doing it, I’ve gotten to know a lot of great, creative, and funny people. I’m in a good place.
I used to write record reviews and in doing that, I always compiled year-end lists. I will do that now, but with much less discipline and research.
1. Bry Webb - Provider - I’m pretty sure this is my favorite record of the year. It surprised me because I was never a huge fan of The Constantines and their lead singer put this out. Just a great listen.
2. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - s/t - One half of Stars of the Lid, that’s all I needed to hear.
3. Bon Iver - s/t - Duh.
4. Miracle Fortress - Was I the Wave? - This guy’s last record was at the top of my list when it came out sometime like ‘06 or ‘07. It’s different than the last, but has its own place with me.
5. William Elliott Whitmore - Field Songs - He’s one of my all-time top tens, so he can almost do no wring for me. Much better than his last, which was a great record too.
6. Enablers - Blown Realms and Stalled Explosions - Band can do no wrong. Fact.
7. Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones - Frank Turner, goddammit. One of those guys who writes songs I wish I’d wrote.
8. Blind Pilot - We Are the Tide - This record doesn’t make the same impression on me that their first one did, but it’s still great. Bright, modest folky pop.
9. Death Cab for Cutie - Codes and Keys - These guys keep getting bigger but they don’t stray too far from where the comes from with each record. I’m going on ten years listening to them and they still make me happy with each release.
10. Stray from the Path - Rising Sun - Sure, why the hell not?
This is where I’m getting tired of writing this. Lessee, I liked Drive, Beginners, Warrior, Margin Call, Senna, ahhhmmm…
I’ll close with a favorite song from that Bry Webb record.